[imp] login slowness with large inboxes after upgrade from Horde 3.0.10+IMP 4.0.4 to Horde 3.3.8 + IMP 4.3.7

Aria Bamdad aria at bsc.gwu.edu
Fri Oct 29 14:08:28 UTC 2010

Andreas,

I have the same problem with my setup.  I use an IBM IMAP server and after
running several traces, we found that IMP tends to request specific detailed
information about every mail item in the inbox at logon.  When you have
1000's of messages and if your IMAP server is not local or is not super
fast, this results in the slow login problem reported here.  My solution to
this was to set the $conf[server][sort_limit] variable (IMP configuration,
Server tab) to a small number and basically turn off sorting if there are
too many messages in a  mailbox.  Doing this, resulted in eliminating the
massive request at login.

What would be nice is if IMP only requested specifics about messages that
appear in the current window rather than ask for every message in the
mailbox.  The problem is that if a user selects any sort field other than by
arrival order, then at login, IMP asks for detailed information about every
mail item in the mailbox, slowing down login to a crawl.

Aria