[imp] login slowness with large inboxes after upgrade from Horde 3.0.10+IMP 4.0.4 to Horde 3.3.8 + IMP 4.3.7

jose manuel blanco jmblanco at sciops.esa.int
Thu Nov 4 19:08:32 UTC 2010

Michael M Slusarz escribió:
> Quoting Jose Manuel Blanco <jmblanco at sciops.esa.int>:
>
>> Regarding the IMAP server side suggestions, the thing is that my old
>> webmail (Horde 3.0.10+IMP 4.0.4) is connecting to the same IMAP
>> server, and it has no problems dealing with large inboxes -1 or 2
>> seconds max. for displaying inboxes with more than 40000 mails never
>> been cached-, so my question remains: has the imp code changed in a
>> way that would explain that behaviour? For example, when I click in
>> the Date tab to reorder my messages, my old webmail only reorders the
>> ones that are visible
>
> No.  As previously described - this can NEVER happen with IMAP.  IMAP
> requires a full sort of ALL messages in the mailbox - not a mailbox
> slice.
>
>> while the new one goes to the first (or last) page instead. This
>> suggests that the old one is only dealing with the ones that are
>> visible, but I can't be sure. The settings are the same in both
>> webmails as far as I can see.
>
> What is probably happening is that somewhere between IMP 4.0 and IMP
> 4.3 sorting got fixed.  So clicking on Date now correctly sorts by the
> date in the headers of the message vs. the IMAP sequence number (which
> is often a date sort, but not always).  Sorting by sequence numbers is
> extremely fast because it is the only operation that doesn't require
> sorting at all - you can just grab a message slice.  But sorting by
> sequence numbers is also not very useful since messages may appear to
> be in a random order.  That's the tradeoff.
>
> michael

Thanks for your answers, Michael.

Since I'm dealing with a community of hundreds of users with huge
mailboxes, I'm afraid the new horde slowness is going to determine if we
can go to the new one or stay in the old one. I'd like to try as a last
option this "sorting by sequence numbers", just in case  it speeds up
logins, but  I 'm not sure if that is an option in the imp 4.3, unless
it's the "Arrival date" one (that I have already tried).
The other options I see are Message date, From, To, Subject, Size and

Cheers
Jose Manuel

This message and any attachments are intended for the use of the addressee or addressees only. The unauthorised disclosure,

use, dissemination or copying (either in whole or in part) of its content is not permitted. If you received this message in

error, please notify the sender and delete it from your system. Emails can be altered and their integrity cannot be guaranteed by

the sender.