[imp] Disposition Notification reg.

ANANT S ATHAVALE asa at isac.gov.in
Mon Dec 27 11:28:01 UTC 2010

Hi,

thanks for responding.

Please see my reply inline with your reply.

Regards,
ANANT.

----- Message from Jose-Marcio.Martins at ensmp.fr ---------
     Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 12:14:19 +0100
     From: Jose-Marcio Martins da Cruz <Jose-Marcio.Martins at ensmp.fr>
  Subject: Re: [imp] Disposition Notification reg.
       To: ANANT S ATHAVALE <asa at isac.gov.in>
       Cc: imp at lists.horde.org, RAKESH KUMAR <rakesh at isac.gov.in>,
RAJIV RATAN CHETWANI <rajiv at isac.gov.in>

> ANANT S ATHAVALE wrote:
>> Dear List:
>>
>> We have 'Horde Groupware Webmail Edition 1.2.7' setup.  I am yet to
>> upgrade to 'Horde Groupware Webmail Edition 1.2.9'.
>>
>> If a mail is composed using IMP and when option request-read
>> receipt is used, IMP asks the recipient to confirm whether
>> read-receipt notification to be sent or not.  This is what we also
>> expect.
>>
>> But today we observed that, there are some mails for which
>> disposition notifications are being sent without recipients
>> knowledge whenever the mail contains header
>> 'Disposition-Notification-To' (that is for mails received from
>> elsewhere and being read in our Horde/IMP setup).
>>
>> Can somebody confirm this behaviour?
>
> Confirmation is optional. Nothing forces the recipient to confirm
> reception or reading the message. E.g., all headers of this kind
> sent to me are just ignored and I don't even see them.

I don't want disposition notifications to go without confirmation.
And this was confirmed earlier also in the mailing list.  Automatic
delivery of disposition notification will confirm to the spammers that
email id exists.

I hope, I am able to convey you, what I wanted to convey.  Please let
me know, if you need any more clarification.

As a test, shall I send you a mail without using IMP having
disposition notification header request?   You need to confirm me,
whether you got a  message prompting to send disposition notification
or not?

> This behaviour isn't related to IMP/HORDE.
>
> JM

----- End message from Jose-Marcio.Martins at ensmp.fr -----

Regards,

Anant Athavale.