[imp] several questions from a newbie

Oliver Lehmann lehmann at ans-netz.de
Fri Dec 31 11:11:50 UTC 2010

Hi,

I've switched from a local POP3 Mail Client to Horde IMP.
My old Mail Client used Maildir for saving the Mails and migrating this
back to mbox files resulted in quite huge files. So I decided to write
my own small php script which imap_append's all single mails into the
right IMAP folders. But this just as a small side note. Now I've all
my mails dating back to 2000 back on my mail server.

Together with the switch to IMP I've of course some questions resulting
from my old habits ;)
I hope you can help me out.

- Is it possible to easily mark all messages in a folder as "/Seen"?
   I mean not just the messages shown on the actual page like it is
   possible right now by just selecting "all messages" and mark them as
   read. I really mean _all_ messages within a folder.
   I came across that by first using the Import for smaller mbox files
   and then having to jump through all pages and mark all mails on every
   single page as /Seen

- I've a bunch of filters set up to move messages automatically out of
   my Inbox into several other folders. Is it possible to get a count of
   unread messages for each of my other folders displayed beside the
   folder name like it is done for INBOX?
   Does this not happen because of the IMP filter rules and so all
   filtered messages do no longer appear to be "new"? Can this be worked
   around maybe by using procmail for moving mails when they arrive
   directly? Would I get this counter beside each folder when using
   procmail and not filtering with Horde?

- This one is regarding the Threaded view / sorting. I know this is
   based on IMAP's c-client mail_thread() but is there a way to only
   consider the In-Reply-To header and NOT the subject? I'm receiving
   multiple CVS mailinglists and of course subjects are many times
   identical when the same file is changed multiple times.
   IMP then displays all those messages as one thread even if there aree
   ages between those messages - and they just do not belong to each
   other. To fix this, just respecting In-Reply-To would help here out.
   I know this is not directly Horde IMP's business as it relies on IMAP's
   c-client but maybe someone else has done this in the past and can tell
   me how ;)

- When setting up IMP I came across some deletion/reorganisation settings
   for the "Sent" folder. I definitly do not want any moving or deletion
   of my Mails in the Sent folder - yes I want to keep millions of mails
   from thousand of years in this single folder - is that the case or will
   IMP start to remove or move my mails around there?

- Beside the "Sent" folder I could need some help with some sort of
   automatic deletion of mails in defined (Mailinglist) folders.
   In the past I just ran a find on my local system to find files
   older lets say 3 month and delete them from those directories. Now it
   would be cool if IMP could do this for me after magically setting this
   up somehow. Is it possible or does someone know how to achive this
   easily?

   Greetings, Oliver