[imp] SOLVED: unable to save sent message -- NAMESPACE problem

Mark G. Thomas Mark at Misty.com
Tue Feb 1 20:21:40 UTC 2011

Hi,

After a long overdue upgrade from IMP-4.2 to IMP-4.3.9, I found that
creating Sent/Drafts/Trash/Spam folders via the Personal Info
and Server and Folder Information Options would fail with permission
denied messages from Cyrus.

I confirmed that Cyrus is advertising my namespace correctly:
  . login XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
  . OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ ID LOGINDISABLED ACL RIGHTS=kxte QUOTA MAILBOX-REFERRALS NAMESPACE UIDPLUS NO_ATOMIC_RENAME UNSELECT CHILDREN MULTIAPPEND BINARY SORT SORT=MODSEQ THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES ANNOTATEMORE CATENATE CONDSTORE SCAN IDLE URLAUTH] User logged in
  . namespace
  * NAMESPACE (("INBOX." ".")) (("user." ".")) (("" "."))
  . OK Completed

I tried changing prefs.php to "INBOX.Sent" instead of "Sent", but then
the folder being created ended up being INBOX.INBOX.Sent. This was
not an acceptable solution.

After much experimentation with different IMP versions, I determined
that this specific change from 4.3.4 to 4.3.5 introduced my problem:

    [root at ziggy imp-4.3.4]# diff lib/IMP.php ../imp-4.3.5/lib/
    131c131
    <  * $Horde: imp/lib/IMP.php,v 1.449.4.125 2009/04/07 04:56:37 slusarz Exp $
    ---
    >  * $Horde: imp/lib/IMP.php,v 1.449.4.127 2009/08/05 03:56:37 slusarz Exp $
    1350c1350
    <         $ns_info = IMP::getNamespace($mbox, false);
    ---
    >         $ns_info = IMP::getNamespace($mbox);

Changing the line back to "$ns_info = IMP::getNamespace($mbox, false);" in
4.3.5 (and 4.3.9) restores the functioning behavior, Sent and other folders
are correctly generated from the Options menus and when a user composes a
message but is lacking their designated Sent folder.

I do not know what other ramifications this might have nor why the
change in 4.3.5.  I am surprised that this hasn't broken things for
more people since I'm using a common setup with Cyrus. I see other
namespace related changes related to INBOX namespace, so maybe one
of the other changes was supposed to fix this behavior, but at least
in my case does not.

I hope this might be helpful to others. It took me a long time to isolate.
I wish I knew how it was really supposed to work and why it was changed.

Mark

----- Forwarded message from "Mark G. Thomas" <Mark at Misty.com> -----