[imp] How to generate load using imp

Paul A Sand pas at unh.edu
Wed Feb 9 17:55:16 UTC 2011

 On Wed, 9 Feb 2011, Piotr Legiecki wrote:
> What I want to do is to put work load *using* Imp4 on the mail
> server (uw-imapd) which is on another machine.
>
> I think Horde/Imp is fine, configured OK (when I test it it is
> working ok), but UW-imap is ill behaving when it sees the new Imp
> setup *plus* load caused by lets say 50-100 people. So I want to
> simulate those 50 people reading mails.
>
> The same two servers were ok before with Imp3 (but there I could
> set up mail/ folder easly). So it is not the problem to handle such
> traffic, the problem must be somewhere between Imp4/servers.php and
> UW-Imapd.
>
> Removing UW-Imap is actually out of question (I'm not an admin there).

Back when we had UW-IMAP woes I used Timo Sirainen's  IMAP tester:

    http://imapwiki.org/ImapTest

Downside: This isn't  "using Imp4", and there may be other practical
considerations weighing against your use. (For example, I was able to
set up a bunch of dummy accounts to test it against; this might not be
an option for you.)

Upside: it convinced me that our bottleneck wasn't "between" IMP
and UW-IMAP, it was UW-IMAP. Even if you can't replace UW-IMAP
yourself, you might be able to use the results to convince those
other admins to do so.

--
-- Paul A. Sand                 | You can find a complete
-- University of New Hampshire  | explanation of Heisenberg's