[imp] excessive "select inbox"

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Fri Mar 4 16:39:26 UTC 2011

Zitat von Joseph Brennan <brennan at columbia.edu>:

> Tossing this out in case it rings a bell with anybody...
>

> We have one user (out of tens of thousands) who can't open mail in
> folders other than inbox.
>
> We have a cyrus imap server. I set it to record sessions for this
> user and for me.
>
> I can see from my own session that for every screen, IMP does a
> SELECT foldername, the relevant command(s), and UNSELECT.  Then IMP
> pauses and sends no commands until I click something on my screen.
>
> For this one user, as soon as it does UNSELECT, it does SELECT inbox.
> Example of the timing (unix seconds), from the cyrus log:
>
> 1298580536  select inbox, get header info, etc
> 1298580537  unselect
> 1298580540  select sent-mail, get header info, etc
> 1298580540  unselect
> 1298580541  select inbox, get header info, etc
> 1298580542  unselect
> 1298580545  select inbox, get header info, etc
> 1298580546  unselect
> 1298580546  select inbox, get header info, etc
> 1298580548  unselect
>
> She sees the list of messages in sent-mail, and it stays there.
> (So IMP is doing SELECT inbox, getting info to redraw the screen,
> but not redrawing the screen.)  When she clicks on any message in
> the list, then the screen re-draws to show the list of messages
> in inbox, and she sees the error "Requested message not found".
>
> In the cyrus log I expected to find a failed FETCH command, but
> it's not there.  There is no evidence that IMP did FETCH, which
> suggests that IMP itself decided "Requested message not found",
> but on what basis I don't know.
>
> I see a detailed explanation of a "Requested message not found" case
> <http://lists.horde.org/archives/imp/Week-of-Mon-20050314/041351.html>
> but the problem there was that the user's session was getting load
> balanced to two IMP servers.  That was not the case here.  Her IMP
> session stayed on one host.
>
> Since it is one user, I suspect something in the preferences makes
> IMP repeatedly SELECT inbox, but I can't find it.  In fact her
> preferences are vanilla except to sort by arrival descending, and
> choosing her name.  I made my account sort by arrival descending
> and as expected I do not get the repeated SELECTs.
>
> Notice that even when she is reading inbox, every time it finishes
> and does UNSELECT, it immediately does SELECT inbox again, more than
> once.  Not normal.  All it does is get the header info it would need
> to show the list of messages.  However at least she is able to open
> messages in inbox.

Unless you see repeated requests to IMP from that user, matching the
SELECTs on the IMAP server, I would rule out IMP. This might be the
c-client library running amok, maybe it chokes on the message list. Or
maybe this user's mailbox is corrupt, and Cyrus chokes on it.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/