[imp] db migration and sorting

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Tue May 24 09:25:18 UTC 2011

>>> We use strnatcasecmp and strcasecmp for sorting mailboxes. Those
>>> have the advantage of correctly sorting mailboxes with numbers and
>>> being binary-safe. For better locale-specific sorting, we would
>>> have to use strcoll, but this function doesn't support either of
>>> the former features.
>>
>> so - resumé - it is not possible to get folders in correct
>> alphabetical order rathen than for ASCII-named, isn't it?
>
> It looks like we might be able to use Collator::compare()
> (http://www.php.net/manual/en/collator.compare.php) to do the
> sorting.  But this is only available in PHP 5.3.0+.

We could use it conditionally, it's also available through intl from
pecl for PHP 5.2. But I'm not sure if that would get us anything that
strcoll doesn't. The documentation is sparse, but to me it sounds like
it doesn't get us natural numeric sort or binary safety (probably not
necessary for mailbox sorting anyway) either.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/