[imp] Spam Problem ... close to a solution ... may be you could help?

Arjen de Korte arjen+horde at de-korte.org
Tue May 24 18:05:23 UTC 2011

Citeren Andy Dorman <adorman at ironicdesign.com>:

> 1. We run memcache on the horde servers.  We then added local code
> to horde/imp/lib/Compose.php to save and update a 24 hour count of
> recipients in memcache for a sender.
>
> Then when a sender hits the 24 hr limit or a limit for the number of
> addresses in a single email (spammers love to send to 40 or 50 BCC
> addresses), we deactivate the sender (so they can not send any more
> until an admin has taken action) and send a note to an admin so
> someone can follow up and decide if this is a spammer OR a valid
> user whose account was stolen.
>
> I am sure someone like Chuck or Jan could write a patch for you on a
> consulting basis.  I have been trying to get our code organized and
> clean enough that we could submit it as something just about anyone
> could use.  But right now it is tied pretty closely to our LDAP user
> store which is pretty complicated.

Something very similar is already available in Horde through the
Permission system where you can add IMP, specify the number of
recipients per message (max_recipients) and total recipients per time
unit (max_timelimit). You need to have the Outgoing Email Logging
enabled for this to work though.

Best regards, Arjen