[imp] Horde IMAP features (or why our webmail client is better than your webmail client)

Patrick Boutilier boutilpj at ednet.ns.ca
Wed May 25 18:32:32 UTC 2011

On 05/24/2011 03:57 AM, Michael M Slusarz wrote:
> [...]
>
> 1. PHP Memory stream support. Unlike every other PHP library I am aware
> of, our library does not keep the full data of body parts in memory.
> Since attachments can be huge (10-20 MB), this could cause memory issues
> on the server. Those running IMP 4 might be aware of this - memory
> limits for PHP had to be set high, partially because the PHP imap
> extension commands we used required all data to live in memory. However,
> Horde_Imap_Client instead stores body part data in temporary streams.
> These streams only store a limited amount of data in memory (2 MB), with
> the rest being spooled to a temporary file somewhere on your local
> system. This results in vastly reduced memory loads when
> viewing/downloading message body parts. As an example - I have had my
> memory limit set to 64 MB for over a year now. I have not once run out
> of memory (as a developer, I often play around with large messages just
> to test for things like these).
>
> 2. CONDSTORE/QRESYNC support. These are two recent IMAP extensions
> specifically created to add disconnected clients (like IMP) keep their
> local caches synced and to speed viewing when reloading a mailbox. IMP
> is the *ONLY* open-source webmail client that I am aware of that
> supports these extensions. Discussing the exact details is beyond the
> scope of this message, but absence of CONDSTORE/QRESYNC support means
> two things:
> * You can not properly cache mailbox data. Namely, flags are not
> guaranteed to be synced unless they are downloaded EVERY time you access
> a mailbox. Which is very slow. So, in other words, all other webmail
> clients are essentially "broken" - only IMP does caching correctly.
> * You can not properly keep an AJAX display synchronized. A well-written
> AJAX client contains yet another cache of mailbox data - it needs to be
> synchronized with the PHP server (which in turn needs to be synchronized
> with the IMAP server. Confused yet?) Without CONDSTORE/QRESYNC, this can
> not be done correctly absent the AJAX interface *constantly* reloading
> data from the server. But this is just a waste of bandwidth, processing
> power, and the user's time. Only IMP does AJAX display correctly because
> we only download what is needed.
>
> 3. Fast. The PHP imap (c-client) extension is notoriously bad at its
> IMAP conversations. It would send duplicate requests, couldn't cache
> entries, and would request data for messages that you didn't even care
> about (the infamous lookahead "feature"). Additionally, there were many
> things that couldn't be done at all - like obtaining namespace
> information on the server - because the extension did not support it so
> an entirely separate library needed to be written, and and an entirely
> separate connection to the IMAP server needed to be made, to fill in the
> gaps. Horde_Imap_Client has replaced all this was a single, coherent
> library that has been relentlessly tuned to ensure that we are doing

 From http://wiki.horde.org/Project/HordeImapLib :

"Horde_Imap_Client was responsible for features added to imapproxy to
eliminate the need to re-establish the session every time a user
accesses the server. Horde_Imap_Client is the ONLY open-source PHP
library that leverages these features."

Does Horde_Imap_Client still benefit from using imapproxy or is the need
for imapproxy gone?