[imp] question about requiring subscription to IMAP folders

francis picabia fpicabia at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 12:04:47 UTC 2011

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 4:48 PM, Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org> wrote:
> Quoting francis picabia <fpicabia at gmail.com>:
>
>> Good afternoon,
>>
>> I am running Horde 4 and IMP 5.
>>
>> Right now, our users must subscribe to their subfolders
>> before they will see them.
>>
>> I wonder if this is necessary.  I see this in the user FAQ on the wiki:
>>
>> http://wiki.horde.org/FAQ/User/IMP?referrer=FAQ%2FUser#toc9
>>
>> I would like to achieve the scenario described in the second paragraph:
>>
>> "If your site's IMP configuration allows you to use multiple folders
>> but does not require you to subscribe to the ones you wish to access,
>> you will always see all of your folders in IMP's folder lists."
>>
>> I searched for where to do this and do not see a clear answer. But I
>> have a guess.
>>
>> In imp/config/prefs.php I see:
>>
>> $_prefs['subscribe'] = array(
>>    'value' => 1,
>>    'type' => 'checkbox',
>>    'desc' => _("Use IMAP folder subscriptions?")
>> );
>>
>> Should I try another value in there such as 0, would it cause IMAP
>> folders to be not allowed at all, or would it simply remove the need
>> to subscribe?
>
> A false value for subscribe causes IMP to completely ignore IMAP
> subscription status on the server.
>
>> Would this be picked up if I made a prefs.local.php containing:
>>
>> $_prefs['subscribe'] = array(
>>    'value' => 0,
>>    'type' => 'checkbox',
>>    'desc' => _("Use IMAP folder subscriptions?")
>> );
>
> You probably want this instead:
>
> $_prefs['subscribe']['value'] = 0;
> $_prefs['subscribe']['locked'] = true;
>
> This prevents users from changing the value.  And you should set only
> individual properties of the array, rather than overwriting the array, since
> this method will ensure that any changes made to the prefs.php file in the
> future OTHER than the values you have overwritten will be used.

This is working well.  I have another related question.

For my test user I found the Preferences for Folder Display had a
check for  "use IMAP folder subscriptions".  I don't remember if I had
set that, but the default might have been this is checked.  Is there a
way to make it unchecked for all users so that the other settings are
causing all subfolders to display?