[imp] IMP H4 (5.0.15) (final)

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Thu Nov 24 00:09:10 UTC 2011

Quoting Simon Brereton <simon.brereton at buongiorno.com>:

> On Nov 23, 2011 6:03 PM, "Michael M Slusarz" <slusarz at horde.org> wrote:
>>
>> Quoting Simon Brereton <simon.brereton at buongiorno.com>:

>>> Mail

>>> Please don't top-post.
>>>
>>> I has this issue on first login too.  Will retest later.
>>

>> Because you aren't using static javascript to serve those files.  If you
> don't use static javascript, you are at the mercy of browser caching.
>
> I don't understand :)

Modern browsers are *very* aggressive when it comes to caching
javascript.  So if we change imp/js/dimpbase.js between releases,
which we will most certainly do, the browser won't pick up the changes
until the cache lifetime is over (this is not entirely true - the ETag
HTTP Header is designed to work around this, but a given HTTP server
may not support Etags, or they may not be configured correctly).

Using static files ensures that when the version is updated, the
javascript files are served from a new, unique hostname which we can
100% guarantee a browser will need to download.

> And why would a mobile browser cache more than a desktop one - in my
> experience, it's the opposite.

No - it is even more critical for a mobile browser to cache due to
limited bandwidth.  You will probably not notice a desktop browser
that needs to download a copy of jquery on every pageload.  You will
definitely notice this on a mobile browser (not to mention a browser
can potentially cache the compiled javascript also, so it does not
have to parse it again).

michael