[imp] problem with text/plain attachments and linebreaks

Michael Menge michael.menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Tue Jan 3 10:42:00 UTC 2012

Hi,

I have the following problem. If I attach a Linux plain text file
(ASCII text with LF line terminators), send it and save the attachment
from the received mail using IMP 4.3.9, the attachment is saved as
as DOS plain text file (ASCII text with CRLF line terminators).

The File is attached as

which is correct AFAIK. If I don't misunderstand RFC 2046 4.1.1
the line terminators must be converted to CRLF for the text/plain
MIME-Type. I would expect that the file is converted back when it
is stored to disk on a Linux system. But I'm not sure if IMP or
the browser has to convert the file?

The browsers I tried (Firefox 7, Opera 11 and Konqueror 4) did not
change the line terminators back to LF. Saving the attachment using
Thunderbird 5 or pine, did change the line terminators back to LF,
so other mail clients handle this problem correct.

Is there a option in IMP or the browsers i did miss?

Regards

     Michael Menge

M.Menge                                Tel.: (49) 7071/29-70316
Universität Tübingen                   Fax.: (49) 7071/29-5912
Zentrum für Datenverarbeitung          mail:
michael.menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Wächterstraße 76
72074 Tübingen