[imp] mailbox overquota and move to trash -> something to improve?

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Fri Jan 27 06:00:54 UTC 2012

Quoting ANANT S ATHAVALE <asa at isac.gov.in>:

> ----- Message from LALOT Dominique <dom.lalot at gmail.com> ---------
>    Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 09:10:52 +0100
>    From: LALOT Dominique <dom.lalot at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [imp] mailbox overquota and move to trash -> something
> to improve?
>      To: imp at lists.horde.org
>

>> 2012/1/26 LALOT Dominique <dom.lalot at gmail.com>
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'am faced to some students being unable to delete their mails because
>>> they are overquota.. I changed to simply flag deleted but users complained.
>>> I red articles on the net and there is no way to move and not copy, then
>>> delete which cause the problem.
>>> So, when having an error such as overquota, could horde simply flag mail
>>> as deleted, then the user will be able to delete mails without any
>>> assistance..
>>> Is it difficult to do?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>

>> May be the solution could be to use virtual trash, but I don't understand
>> how to do that using prefs.php. Looking in database, the data is binary..
>
> Ask the users not to use Trash folder temporarily using their
> preference option.  So, they get option to delete which makes them

This was actually technically impossible until RFC 5530 defined an
OVERQUOTA response code.  I've just added code to IMP 5.1 that will
workaround this issue by permanently deleting the messages instead of
moving to Trash.  However, this is entirely dependent on the IMAP
server (I think Dovecot supports it).

Alternatively, use a IMAP server that supports "soft" quotas.

michael