[imp] composing message with inline attachments

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Fri Feb 10 19:43:22 UTC 2012

Quoting Scott Dellinger <scott.dellinger at uvm.edu>:

> Is there a way in IMP 5 to include attachments inline when composing
> a new message, short of linking to a remote URL in an HTML message?

No.  Everybody complained that this was too confusing for the average user.

And, quite frankly, displaying any MIME part as inline (other than
maybe text/plain) is a bad idea by default.  This is *way* too easy to
abuse.  Imagine a SPAM message with an undesirable image attached to
the message as inline.  A MUA should NOT be blindly showing that image
to a user just because the remote sender says so.

> I see that when you compose an HTML message and include an image
> URL, depending on your settings the images can be pulled from the
> remote server and embedded inline.  However, that requires putting
> the files on a web server in the first place.

That's because it can be explicitly determined that the user wants to
display that image inline, without requiring the user to know the
difference between "inline" and "attachment".

michael