[imp] migrating users from traditional to dynamic interface (message deletion)

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Tue Feb 14 08:15:49 UTC 2012

Quoting Vilius Šumskas <vilius at lnk.lt>:

> Hello,
>
>   I  had  a  chance  to  migrate  one  of my bigger installations from
>   traditional  to  dynamic  interface  recently. And stumbled upon one
>   major  problem.  Seems  like  a  fair  amount  of  users had used to
>   traditional  IMP  interface  and the concept of "mailbox pages" that
>   now  they make serious mistakes performing actions on "message list"
>   in the dynamic view.
>
>   For  example,  they  used upper checkbox in traditional interface to
>   mark  20  messages  (or whatever is configured as message number per
>   page), and clicked Delete to delete all messages in the currect page.
>   Of  course  in  dynamic  view this empties a whole mailbox. Moreover
>   there  is  no confirmation  popup saying "Are you sure that you want to
>   empty this folder?"
>
>   Can it be added?

No.  Especially since the method used in dynamic view is the
*expected* way that button should work.  Selecting all messages is NOT
a destructive action in and of itself.  And whether users are
migrating from the traditional view is totally site-dependent.

If you are truly worried about losing messages, you should enforce a
Trash mailbox.

michael