[imp] IMP Header folding erroneous -> exim corrupts email (see Bug #10696)

Arjen de Korte arjen+horde at de-korte.org
Wed Feb 15 12:27:34 UTC 2012

Citeren Günter Merz <lotan_rm at hotmail.com>:

> Hello,
>
> a git pull on the development repository caused the emails sent by imp
> to be corrupted.
>
> I tracked the issue down to:
>
>    Bug #10696: Sendmail driver/message data EOL issue
>
> which is marked as 'Resolved'.
>
> The the result of the changes introduced in this bug results in emails
> that have generally a '\n' line ending with the exception of folded
> header lines: those get '\r\n'.
>
> As a consequence, exim (invoked by '/usr/lib/sendmail -oi') indents
> the content of my email with one whitespace and adds its own header
> lines.
>
> Reverting the changes (changing 'canonical' to false) resolves this
> problem.
>
> I have to admit, I don't see the benefit of the changes.
>
> Can anyone explain or can the changes be reversed?

It is probably easier to switch to using SMTP instead of sendmail, as
recommended by http://www.horde.org/apps/horde/docs/INSTALL

"It is highly RECOMMENDED that Horde be configured to use SMTP for
sending e-mails."

See also http://bugs.horde.org/ticket/10930, which might contain some
hints on how to fix this. Specifically, you may want to set the
sendmail_eol parameter.

Best regards, Arjen