[imp] sasl with relaying

Arjen de Korte arjen+horde at de-korte.org
Wed May 2 14:43:21 UTC 2012

Citeren zBit <zbit at centrum.cz>:

> I've setup the smtp authentication in configuration files
> (config/conf.php, imp/config/backends.local.php)
> but when I try to send an e-mail using bad credentials, the e-mail
> is sent nevertheless as the mailserver
> permits relaying for the horde host.

This is something you have to configure on the SMTP server. Which one
are you using?

> I assume that horde uses some kind of fallback so that whenever
> the authentication fails it somehow bypasses the authentication completely.

It relies on the SMTP server to reject the message if the credentials
are not accepted. The solution is to use a separate port for mail
submission (typically, the 'submission' port (587) is used for that)
and to *require* authentication on that port, rather than making it
optional. You can't do this on the 'smtp' (25) port, since it would
effectively prevent delivery from outside.

> I would like to retain smtp relaying. Is there any way to enforce the sasl
> authentication?

Yes. But this needs to be configured in the mailserver, rather than in Horde.

Best regards, Arjen