[imp] Per user mailer

Luis Felipe Marzagao/Andamentos lfbm.andamentos at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 19:00:13 UTC 2012

Em 11/06/2012 04:53, Gunnar Wrobel escreveu:
> Am Montag, den 11.06.2012, 01:07 -0300 schrieb Luis Felipe Marzagao:
>> Hello:
>>
>> Is it complete out of question to think of a per user mailer
>> configuration in imp?
> I could think of two things you might mean with that question. And in
> both cases the answer is: no, it is of course possible to think about it
> and realize it.
I´m sorry I was not specific. The scneraio I´m thinking is a very small
organization (5 users) using Horde. This organization uses google apps
for email. Google apps does not allow you to setup a single SMTP server
account for all the users or, better saying, it allows you to do so, but
then every email sent through the SMTP will have as sender the account
you used to login to the gmail SMTP, regardless of the user that has
actually sent the email.

So, in order to actually use the recommended approach (STMP instead of
sendmail), I have to do a workaround: I set sendmail in Horde
Configuration (mailer) and then configure a postfix server with "per
sender relay", and then I have to configure in postfix a file with all
users credentials necessary to access and send mail via gmail SMTP. This
way, Horde uses postfix, but postfix actually uses the SMTP server as a
relay server and mail is sent with no trouble at all.

But it is a really dirty solution, since I have to put in this postfix
file (sasl_passwd) all the emails and respective passwords necessary to
access the gmail SMTP.

So I was thinking if it would be acceptable to suggest the
implementation of a "per user mailer" in imp, so each user gets to set
his own SMTP server and then it will be his problem whether or not he
has changed his password etc. He could always update his credentials
without contacting the admin.

> Cheers,
>
> Gunnar
Thanks a lot!