[imp] IMP H5 (6.0.0alpha1)

francis picabia fpicabia at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 14:01:55 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 7:46 PM, Jan Schneider <jan at horde.org> wrote:
> The Horde Team is pleased to announce the first alpha release of the
> Internet
> Mail Program (IMP) version H5 (6.0.0).
>
> IMP, the Internet Mail Program, is one of the most popular and widely
> deployed
> open source webmail applications in the world. It allows universal,
> web-based
> access to IMAP and POP3 mail servers and provides Ajax, mobile and
> traditional
> interfaces with a rich range of features normally found only in desktop
> email
> clients. For more information on IMP, visit http://www.horde.org/apps/imp.
>
> IMPORTANT! This is a preview version that should not be used on production
> systems. This version is not feature complete yet and there are likely to be
> bugs. You should not use this preview version with existing production data.
>
> We encourage widespread testing and feedback via the mailing lists or our
> bug
> tracking system. Updated translations are very welcome, though some strings
> might still change before the release candidates are prepared.
>
> The major changes compared to the IMP version H4 are:
>     * Completely redesigned user interface.
>     * Completed and improved smartphone mode.
>     * Added special mailbox for templates.
>     * Added searching by date range.
>     * Allow deletion when over quota.
>     * Pre-fetch next unseen message.
>     * Default to UTF-8 for all e-mail messages.
>     * Signature is now added during sending.
>     * Require JavaScript in traditional mode.
>     * Allow expiration date when generating personal PGP keys.
>     * Many further improvements.
>
> Known issues:
>    * The new user interface is not complete yet.
>    * Address autocompletion not always working.
>
> The full list of changes can be viewed here:
>
> https://github.com/horde/horde/blob/dfba683841447290308ff25f7d9417d02cbc6c61/imp/docs/CHANGES

I am looking forward to the updates for smartmobile view.

If you are set on having a select all which is invisibly in
effect on the entire mailbox, then add a pop up warning
announcing the number of messages being selected or something.
I've had 3 or 4 users accidentally delete their entire mailbox
of hundreds of messages, requiring a restore from backup tape.

To avoid these accidents, I've removed the select all box from my code.
It is better to be safe than be sorry.  It leaves my users
happier and I spend less time with backup tape restores.

Click, scroll, shift click works as a controllable workaround to select all.