[imp] Autocomplete auto-select when composing?

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Thu Aug 2 05:55:03 UTC 2012

Quoting Michael Wing <marsfurrycreature at gmail.com>:

> When composing a message, after typing a few characters into the "To"
> field, the autocomplete brings up a dropdown list of matching addresses.
>  Is there any way to make it so that the address is actually populated IN
> the To field?  For instance, if there is only one matching address,
> currently I still have to hit Tab, or the down-arrow to select that
> address.

That is correct.

> Ideally, that one single address would be automatically populated
> in the To field.

This is a terrible idea.  Just because there is one entry, doesn't
mean that this is the *correct* entry.  That is a dangerous, and
incorrect, assumption.

This is a very common scenario:

1. Enter a few characters.
2. Auto-complete comes up with 1 entry, but it is the wrong entry.
3. User realizes that maybe he doesn't have address of user he wants
to send to, so he wants to cancel auto-correct.
4. Incorrect auto-correct entry is populated in address box.

It is correct UI to require the user to verify that the address is
proper/correct.  An address should NEVER be automatically inserted
into the address field without user verification.

michael