[imp] Irritating remember-selection-feature in IMP 6

Michael Wing marsfurrycreature at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 13:24:42 UTC 2012

On Sun, Sep 2, 2012 at 11:08 AM, Michael J Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org>wrote:

>  Hi,
>>
>> is this only me, or this new feature that remembers the selection state
>> of a mailbox rather irritating than helpful? I may be completely off,
>> that's why I'm asking here, where potentially more end user feedback is
>> expected than on the development list.
>>
>> I don't recall such behavior from any other application that I use.
>> Granted, I don't use many desktop applications anymore, but still.
>>
>> If I go to another mailbox, I'm done with the current mailbox, and vice
>> versa, so I rather expect the first mailbox in a clean state when I return
>> from the second mailbox. This expectation might be different if we had
>> mailboxes opened in tabs, which we don't.
>>
>> Though this could be considered a bug that needs fixing, I find it
>> especially annoying in a common use case of mine: when I start reading
>> through my daily mail, going through all the folders that my mail is sorted
>> into, I sometimes open a mail that's too long to be read right now. Then I
>> reset the seen flag before I go to another folder. If I go back, that
>> message is now still selected, marking it as seen again.
>>
>> Again, this could be just my personal preference, and others might
>> welcome this new feature, so I'm looking for some feedback.
>>

> For me personally, I wouldn't go so far as to say it's irritating, but I
> agree that it is an undesirable feature. I expect the mailbox to be in a
> pristine state if I exit it and reenter it.

I think it's neither irritating, nor undesirable.  It's exactly the way
Microsoft Outlook works.  Exit a mailbox, then return to it.  The same
message is selected as before when you exited.  Not only is it desirable,
but it's expected by all users of Microsoft Outlook (and perhaps most other
desktop MUAs?).  It's an essential feature if you want IMP to be a suitable
replacement for desktop MUA users.

Michael