[imp] Collect remote mail to local server/db?

Nathaniel Baughman n.e.baughman at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 14:56:20 UTC 2012

Greetings Horde/IMP community,

I am seeking to centralize access to all of my various email accounts into one
Web-based client interface. Horde Webmail (with IMP) sounds like the best bet so
far.

I plan to set up Horde Webmail on a (sub-)domain of my own, for my own personal
use (not a corporate/community site).

I have two questions for the community:

a) On http://www.horde.org/apps/webmail, the bullet "Fetching of messages from
external email accounts" is crossed off. This sounds like the very feature I
need. Can someone please clarify why this is crossed off?

b) Instead of leaving my email on all the remote IMAP/POP3 servers, I would like
to collect (that is, fetch and remove remotely) all my mail from those remote
servers and store them locally (on the local server/db). I still need to be able
to send mail as each of my remote identities.

I have not found any Webmail software that performs this function.

I could probably find a third-party service to consolidate my email, but I'd
prefer to host this myself (and I really like the other features of Horde
Webmail, like a calendar and task list).

I understand that I could run my own IMAP server, then cron some fetchmail
scripts to collect the mail to my local IMAP, then have IMP configured to use
this dedicated IMAP server (instead of talking to the remote ones).

Is there a simpler approach?

Thanks for any community input you can provide!

-- Nathan