[imp] Collect remote mail to local server/db?

Arjen de Korte arjen+horde at de-korte.org
Mon Oct 8 09:00:48 UTC 2012

Citeren Nathaniel Baughman <n.e.baughman at gmail.com>:

> Greetings Horde/IMP community,
>
> I am seeking to centralize access to all of my various email
> accounts into one
> Web-based client interface. Horde Webmail (with IMP) sounds like the
> best bet so
> far.
>
> I plan to set up Horde Webmail on a (sub-)domain of my own, for my
> own personal
> use (not a corporate/community site).
>
> I have two questions for the community:
>
> a) On http://www.horde.org/apps/webmail, the bullet "Fetching of
> messages from
> external email accounts" is crossed off. This sounds like the very feature I
> need. Can someone please clarify why this is crossed off?
>
> b) Instead of leaving my email on all the remote IMAP/POP3 servers,
> I would like
> to collect (that is, fetch and remove remotely) all my mail from those remote
> servers and store them locally (on the local server/db). I still
> need to be able
> to send mail as each of my remote identities.
>
> I have not found any Webmail software that performs this function.

Horde won't do either. The reason is that webmail is basically a
client that makes messages available that are stored in (usually) an
IMAP server. As such it doesn't collect messages from the IMAP
server(s).

> I could probably find a third-party service to consolidate my email, but I'd
> prefer to host this myself (and I really like the other features of Horde
> Webmail, like a calendar and task list).
>
> I understand that I could run my own IMAP server, then cron some fetchmail
> scripts to collect the mail to my local IMAP, then have IMP configured to use
> this dedicated IMAP server (instead of talking to the remote ones).
>
> Is there a simpler approach?

No. What you need is indeed something like Fetchmail+Postfix+Dovecot,
which will be able to retrieve message from remote servers
(Fetchmail), store them locally (Postfix) and make them available for
Horde's IMP through IMAP (Dovecot).

Best regards, Arjen