[imp] Collect remote mail to local server/db?

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Mon Oct 8 18:55:20 UTC 2012

Quoting Nathaniel Baughman <n.e.baughman at gmail.com>:

> a) On http://www.horde.org/apps/webmail, the bullet "Fetching of
> messages from
> external email accounts" is crossed off. This sounds like the very feature I
> need. Can someone please clarify why this is crossed off?

It was removed in IMP 5 - it was buggy and a resource hog at best.
Nobody to this point has stepped forward to fund development into
adding this back properly: http://bugs.horde.org/ticket/?id=8077

> b) Instead of leaving my email on all the remote IMAP/POP3 servers,
> I would like
> to collect (that is, fetch and remove remotely) all my mail from those remote
> servers and store them locally (on the local server/db). I still
> need to be able
> to send mail as each of my remote identities.

A webmail client is **not** the preferred method of performing this
for various reasons (in fact, this is how the old fetching code work
that was removed).  You really need to be doing this via a tool
specially designed for this kind of activity, like fetchmail (or one
of its spiritual descendants) run from a cron script.

michael