[imp] signer's certificate could not be verified

Paul Bentley paulduncanbentley at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 07:12:54 UTC 2012

I am at a loss as to how to resolve this issue, and no one in the forum is offering any suggestions, so I thought I would try one more time.

I am trying to set up Horde so that users can send emails with S/MIME and the recipients will receive a validated certificate message with the email. With both sender and recipient having each other's public keys, I still keep getting the message,

    "Message Verified Successfully but the signer's certificate could not be verified."

I have the signer's certificate (signed by another certificate, which is self-signed) installed on the server, and the website's ip address is using the signer's certificate as it's SSL Certificate. I have also added the cert that signed the signer's certificate.

I have used OpenSSL to add these two certs to the ca-bundle file, and I have verified that Horde is pointed to the correct cert store.

Lastly, I have verified that OpenSSL recognizes these as valid certs.

In spite of doing all these things, it still doesn't work. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Paul Bentley