[imp] Non-english characters in message list

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Wed Oct 24 21:26:14 UTC 2012

Quoting vrasidas tsalapataras <vratsal at gmail.com>:

> I have a strange issue here and I've been trying to resolve it for quite
> some time now. When I am receiving e-mails with greek characters in their
> sender or subject, sometimes appear as "??????" in the message list. This
> does not happen for all of them though, and this is the confusing part.
> Messages sent with either UTF-8, ISO-8859-7 or Windows-1253 appear
> correctly. The messed up messages are all iso-8859-7 too and will not show
> as characters whatever encoding i set in the browser (while other
> iso-8859-7 below look fine).
> Now, to make this even stranger, when I click on them to open, all the
> greek characters (both in the sender/subject and the message body) appear
> just fine as they should be.  So, this only happens in the message list. I
> tried both on traditional and dynamic interface.
> Also checked the headers, and the problematic messages are either base64 or
> 8-bit... Tried enabling uuencode but did not help. I am not sure if this is
> relevant at all.
> I am using Horde 3.3.11 with IMP 4.3.9 on PHP 5.2 . The server's operating
> system is Gentoo linux.

IMP 4.3 is pretty ancient.  There have been all sorts of
fixes/improvements since then to handle these kind of issues.

Mailbox vs. Message views don't mean much since the header fields are
determined through two completely different IMAP calls for each view.
So just because it works in one view and not another may have nothing
to do with Horde/IMP.

michael