[imp] Thinking about automatically attaching a file on compose

Lukas Gradl horde at ssn.at
Sun Dec 9 16:14:12 UTC 2012

Am 2012-12-09 14:20, schrieb Jan Schneider:

> Zitat von Lukas Gradl <horde at ssn.at>:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> I'm still thinking about a possibility to automaticall attaching a
>> file in compose-window, as this is a big showstopper for replacing
>> desktop-clients by horde/imp.
>>
>> Main reason why I would like to have that funcionality is, that
>> another software running here tries to send printouts as PDF-files via
>> Mail. So far they just call the MUA via MAPI (Windows) or mailto:
>> (Linux) and the corresponding attachment= parameters.
>>
>> Unfortunatly I don't have the php-knowledge to find really search for
>> a good (and secure) solution to that problem.
>>
>> So I'm a little bit guessing around. Perhaps one of the developers can
>> take a look at my ideas and at least tell if it's worth thinking about?
>>

>> So this is what I'm thinking about right now:
>> To develop a small desktop helper app (something I am able of and I am
>> willing to do and contribute) that takes over the MAPI-call (Windows)
>> and the mailto: Link (Linux), stores the file via some secure way on
>> the horde server (perhaps on some storage horde can reach via a vfs
>> backend?) and then calls imp via it's compose-link passing a reference
>> to the file on horde vfs.
>>
>> So the concrete question is: Is there a possibility or could that
>> possibility be added to pass a file reference to a file already on the
>> server to the imp compose window? Perhaps as part of the mailto link?
>
> This already existed in the past. It was possible to attach file from
> Gollem, though only manually, not by link. Of course there are some
> security implications to do this automatically, I don't think we should
> allow that without explicit confirmation by the user.

Which I don't consider as a problem or a disadvantage. Perhaps passing a
file by the link and then presenting the user a button to confirm or a
link to click on.

As I explained: I try to pass a file from a desktop application to a
mail. So I try to avoid that the user has to remember the (automatically
created) name of the file, manually attach it and then sending the mail.
But confirming the file - I think this is something we can expect from
every user.

Jan, do you think this could be incorporated into horde? Is there a
bounty system for horde somewhere? I could imagine setting a bounty for
that functionality.

regards
Lukas