[imp] [horde] Signature

Luis Felipe Marzagao lfbm.andamentos at gmail.com
Mon Dec 24 01:00:17 UTC 2012

Em 23-12-2012 20:06, Michael M Slusarz escreveu:

>> I think a kind of "reload" action could be called when you change the
>> profile in compose window and, that way, the stored signature could
>> be pulled from backend storage and displayed at the bottom of the
>> compose window, like a footer of something, just so the user get a
>> preview of the final msg text.
>
> Dear god, no.  This sounds terrible.
>
> As mentioned in multiple previous posts, this is not going to occur.
> Not worth discussing anymore.

Well, too bad. It's really sad IMP lacks basic functionalities almost
all email programs have. Specially because mail is, in general, the main
app in a groupware.

First, the application has cut off the ability of forwarding mail the
way everybody is used to. Now the user won't even see how his message
will look like before he sends it.

I think these decisions will drive people away from Horde. It's simply
unacceptable for a mail program to lack these so common features. No
matter what we call them, no matter what the definitions are... Some
features are expected to be there, no matter what they are named. I
can't convince a regular user to open a folder, click two times on a
template and edit it, as an alternative for seeing what's being sent in
the message. Not to mention the hassle of creating the template in the
first place. Also, some people won't even bother having more than one
profile. Others won't even know what a profile is.

Please, don't get me wrong. Receive my comments with an open spirit. I'm
just saying it because I really appreciate Horde and I admire the rock
solid program it is. I use Horde in my company for years, since early
versions, and now it's the first time I'm considering dropping it, in
spite of the *excelent* work that has been made with the UI and of which
I was excited to show everybody.

IMP, it seems to me, is going in the wrong direction.

I know it's an open source project (and I've gladly made donations in
the past and, whithin my programming limitations, I try to collaborate
with enhancements and bug reports) and, thus, I know we simply are not
allowed to make demands, unless we sponsor them. And precisely beacuse
of these characteristics, I know the answer is usually: "Not happy?
Nobody is making you use it. Go find something more useful to you." So
I'm really not trying to get a workaround for that fact.

Also, I know I won't change the developers' mind. I'm not taking the
time to write something to convince them - previous msgs were
sufficiently clear the app won't have the feature anymore. I was trying
to propose a "middle solution", which now I see is completely out of
question.

Everybody can always make changes to the code (in fact, I've already
altered the code to get back, for example, expected forward behavior),
but I don't like to keep hacking the code, because it's not safe, it
makes upgrades traumatic and I'm not even skilled to do so.

Because of that I'm studying using owncloud+roundcube or open zarafa
instead of Horde. Horde has amazing features (mobile syncing, great
calendar app, versatile contacs app, great install/update management and
much more), and I feel really sorry not being able to benefit from that
because of trivial but [common sense] essential things like
"forward-editing" msgs and "displaying signature" in msgs. This is the
sad part for me.

Please, forgive me for any inconvenience or bad-spoken sentences.
English is not my native language. In any way I`m depreciating Horde.
I'm a fan of Horde and I am very thankful for the hardwork you do in
order to provide high-quality software (and freedom) for everybody else.
I'm just expressing my thoughts about the subject and why I'm sad about IMP.

Luis Felipe