[imp] disallow Dynamic View

Brendan Oakley gentux2 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 01:04:08 UTC 2013

Hi Michael,

Thank you for the response.

On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 4:12 PM, Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org> wrote:
> Quoting Brendan Oakley <gentux2 at gmail.com>:
>
>> I have a need to disallow Dynamic view in IMP. I do not necessarily
>> need to disallow it for other apps, but with our current backend setup
>> and load the dynamic Imp is too intensive on the IMAP server.
>

> You are doing it wrong then.  Dynamic view is *orders* of magnitude less
> intensive than basic view and uses much less memory.

I do not know what you are testing, but it is not in our environment.
The behavior of dynamic view does not work well with our backend, as
the two currently stand. Memory usage on the webserver is not relevant
to IMAP server performance and stability.

> You can't mix dynamic & basic views in a login.  You are either dynamic or
> basic.  Any other method will require hacking the source.

That is fine, dynamic view in the other apps is not a requirement.
However you are not either dynamic or basic, you can also be mobile.
Isn't this use case of disallowing one view mode at least as
reasonable as disallowing all but one?

By "hacking the source" you mean using a modified login.php to exclude
dynamic from the view selection logic? I tried changing the mode in
preauth and postauth hooks, since the mode selection seems to get
sucked into the authenticate() method, but the problem there is I
don't see how to get at it where I can change it. Setting the
force_view option at that point appears to be too late. If I knew what
to set there it would be a cleaner solution than messing with
login.php.

Thanks
Brendan