[imp] [horde] line breaks?

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Wed Feb 6 21:59:09 UTC 2013

Quoting "Jens-U. Mozdzen" <jmozdzen at nde.ag>:

> Hi Michael,
>
> Zitat von Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>
>> [...]
>> I can't reproduce this either.
>
> thanks to your earlier pointer, I could start debugging this.
> Evidence is pointing at the IMAP server as the root cause.
>
> The short version is: To re-flow the lines, they need to end with
> blanks. In case of pure ASCII, this works, but the umlaut version is
> different.

[snip]

[snip]

> abcd=C3=BC abcd=C3=BC abcd=C3=BC abcd=C3=BC abcd=C3=BC abcd=C3=BC abcd=C3=$
> =BC abcd=C3=BC abcd=C3=BC abcd=C3=BC abcd=C3=BC  $
> abcd=C3=BC abcd=C3=BC abcd=C3=BC abcd=C3=BC abcd=C3=BC abcd=C3=BC abcd=C3=$
> =BC abcd=C3=BC abcd=C3=BC abcd=C3=BC abcd=C3=BC abcd=C3=BC$

Looking at this... unfortunately it does look like we are incorrectly
generating the quoted-printable data.  To preserve whitespace at the
end of a line, it must be followed by a "soft line break" - a bare
"=".  This isn't happening here.  It looks like the quoted-printable
decoder used by Cyrus (I can also confirm the same behavior on Dovecot
2.2) is much stricter about the format than our encoder.

We are using PHP's built-in quoted-printable stream encoder to produce
this output so this (unfortunately) might be an issue outside of the
realm of Horde/IMP.  I will need to investigate further.

> This is above my head, but what catches the eye is the string
> "DELSP" in the FETCH response - could stand for "delete spaces".
> It's set in the template's Content-type, too...

No.  DelSp has to do with the interpretation of the text/plain flowed
data.  The issue with the EOL spaces is instead in the
content-transfer realm.

michael