[imp] "delete messages marked as 'deleted' " menu entry

Jens-U. Mozdzen jmozdzen at nde.ag
Fri Mar 22 14:03:05 UTC 2013

Hi Michael,

Zitat von Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>

> Quoting "Jens-U. Mozdzen" <jmozdzen at nde.ag>:
>
>> currently I'm using latest IMP from PEAR. For my account, I've set
>> the "delete" preference to "move messages to the trash folder".
>>
>> Accessing a shared email folder, I see plenty of messages marked as
>> "deleted", as other users have different "delete" preferences,
>> obviously at least one having it set to "mark as deleted".
>>
>> I would like to finally delete all messages marked as "deleted", but
>> see no option in the corresponding drop-down menu. I assume that
>> this option is currently only available when I've configured "mark
>> as deleted" in my personal preferences.
>
> No, you won't.   If you are using a trash mailbox, you will ALWAYS see
> messages marked as deleted in your mailbox.  This is expected and the
> only correct way of displaying.  There was a either a detailed mail
> message or comment in a bug report awhile back that went into the
> details as to why this has to be.

I might be reading this wrong... "I won't" what, "like to finally
delete all messages"?

Just to make it clear - I haven't questioned the *form* deleted
messages are displayed nor the *fact* that they are displayed.

And no - I currently NEVER see messages "marked as deleted" in my
mailbox - unless some other mail client is used, set to mark instead
of "move to trash", to act on mailboxes I have access to :D

> It's pretty much irrelevant though, since it's simple enough to filter
> by Deleted message, select all, and then click delete.

This covers my question for a different solution :)

>> Would it be acceptable to change the algorithm to either *always*
>> display that option (independant from the personal delete option -
>> there still may be old "marked as delete" messages when changing
>> that preference, too) or even make its appearance dependable on the
>> actual existence of such messages in the currently displayed folder?
>
> The former: no.  The latter: absolutely not.  Besides what is
> explained above, this would be a big performance hit for little/no gain.

I understand the latter, but not the former. As you write it had been
covered in some previous discussion, I'll try to look that up. But I'm
surprised that the "delete all messages marked as deleted" pull-down
menu option is nothing but a short-cut to the method you mentioned
above ("filter by deleted", select all, delete).

Regards,
Jens