[imp] Slow loading of mailboxes with multiple folders and filters

Arjen de Korte arjen+horde at de-korte.org
Sun Apr 28 18:23:20 UTC 2013

Citeren OVi C <csoft2k5 at gmail.com>:

> Hi. I'm using horde webmail edition version 5.0.4 and an user with a large
> number of imap folders and filters (around 160) says that  it takes a
> pretty long time  to display them in basic view.
> The filters applied to the folders are ingo sieve scripts on a dovecot imap
> server.

In that case, the filters themselves will not be the problem, since
they will run when new messages arrive and not when viewing them.

> I'm using APC for caching and also memcached. Is there any way to speed up
> the process of parsing the folders ?

Short of enabling IMAP caching, probably not.

> We previously used horde 3 and he said, that back then this didn't happened.

As far as I can tell, Horde will (since IMP 5 if memory serves) scan
all subscribed folders on every page reload. With 160 subscribed
folders, this may take a while. It's a while back, but if I remember
correctly, this would only happen in IMP 4 on user request. So while
it may have taken an identical amount of time back then, the fact that
it is happening more often may be perceived as 'slower'.