[imp] Base64-only message not quoted in reply

Robin Bankhead horde at headbank.co.uk
Wed Jan 15 15:11:40 UTC 2014

Quoting Robin Bankhead <horde at headbank.co.uk>:

>>> Arggg - sorry, the above should have read PHP 5.3.1 (Thanks for
>>> the catch, Simon).
>>
>> Not sure what ticket you are linking to... there was no link in the message.
>>
> Sorry, forgot to footnote it:
>
> http://bugs.horde.org/ticket/?id=1077
>
> As you say, very old; different symptoms though.
>
>> I *really* think this is probably the issue though.  My memory is
>> that there were bugs in the past relating to PHP variable
>> references that may cause this kind of behavior.  And I would also
>> classify PHP 5.3.1 as ancient ... it's over 5 years old.  I
>> personally would not want to be running 5 year old code that is
>> potentially publicly accessible to the Internet, if just for
>> security reasons.
>>
>> michael
>>
> Personally I wouldn't either, but it's not, so I have the luxury of
> prioritising the stability of my codebase.  Even so, I bet you'd
> find plenty of web hosts where 5.3 is still deployed - the need to
> guarantee *functional* continuity/stability is pretty big in that
> context too. I rather imagined that was why horde's INSTALL file
> specifies the requirement as 5.3.0 and up.
>
> Could you offer any pointers as to where in the code I should be looking?
>
> Regards,
> Robin Bankhead

Update: it appears base64 is a red herring, as I've found other such
messages in our corpus that don't exhibit this problem.  I will
compare the messages in detail to try to work out how else they differ.

Could the Accept-Language or Content-Language headers  have any effect
here?  I really don't see any other notable differences other than the
non-standard ("X-*") headers, which I assume IMP has no interest in.
The "Good" and "Bad" examples are both sent by MS Exchange so it's
only the antispam headers that differ.

Regards,
Robin Bankhead