[imp] Base64-only message not quoted in reply

Robin Bankhead horde at headbank.co.uk
Sat Jan 18 17:27:29 UTC 2014

> Quoting Robin Bankhead <horde at headbank.co.uk>:
>
>> Quoting Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>:
>
> <snip>
>
>>> I *really* think this is probably the issue though.  My memory is
>>> that there were bugs in the past relating to PHP variable
>>> references that may cause this kind of behavior.  And I would also
>>> classify PHP 5.3.1 as ancient ... it's over 5 years old.  I
>>> personally would not want to be running 5 year old code that is
>>> potentially publicly accessible to the Internet, if just for
>>> security reasons.
>>>
>>> michael
>>>
>> Personally I wouldn't either, but it's not, so I have the luxury of
>> prioritising the stability of my codebase.  Even so, I bet you'd
>> find plenty of web hosts where 5.3 is still deployed - the need to
>> guarantee *functional* continuity/stability is pretty big in that
>> context too. I rather imagined that was why horde's INSTALL file
>> specifies the requirement as 5.3.0 and up.
>
> Actually, 5.3.0 refers to the PHP *API*, not to anything specific to
> the PHP internals such as bug fixes. It only means that our code
> utilizes functionality that may not be available until 5.3.0 and
> does not rely on anything that isn't documented as being available
> in the 5.3.0 API.
> --
> mike

I see.  In that case I'll upgrade to the latest stable php-5.3.*, will
that be satisfactory?  As I mentioned above, upgrading beyond that
will be a harder and longer proposition, and my users are whinging now
:(

Also, given that I now have two messages that appear largely
structurally equivalent but behave differently in this regard, I
wonder if it might not actually be a JavaScript issue?  Just a
thought... the reply pages generate a few ReferenceError warnings
(just uninitialised variables I think), but no full-on errors.  When I
get near some other browsers I'll test on them too to explore this.

Regards,
Robin Bankhead