[imp] Base64-only message not quoted in reply

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Mon Jan 20 18:57:51 UTC 2014

Quoting Robin Bankhead <horde at headbank.co.uk>:

> Quoting Michael J Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org>:
>
>> Quoting Robin Bankhead <horde at headbank.co.uk>:
>>
>>> Quoting Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>:
>>
>> <snip>

>>> Personally I wouldn't either, but it's not, so I have the luxury
>>> of prioritising the stability of my codebase.  Even so, I bet
>>> you'd find plenty of web hosts where 5.3 is still deployed - the
>>> need to guarantee *functional* continuity/stability is pretty big
>>> in that context too. I rather imagined that was why horde's
>>> INSTALL file specifies the requirement as 5.3.0 and up.
>>
>> Actually, 5.3.0 refers to the PHP *API*, not to anything specific
>> to the PHP internals such as bug fixes. It only means that our code
>> utilizes functionality that may not be available until 5.3.0 and
>> does not rely on anything that isn't documented as being available
>> in the 5.3.0 API.
>> --
>> mike
>>
> I see.  In that case I'll upgrade to the latest stable php-5.3.*,
> will that be satisfactory?

That's the best move.

As those that frequent the list know, I am not a big fan of the way
certain linux distributions handle packages.  Using PHP as an example:
you are essentially trading the PHP developers opinion/expertise on
bugfixes (within a specific 5.x release) for a package maintainers
opinion ... with the caveat that not only is the package maintainer
possibly cherrypicking the patches, but the package maintainer also is
responsible for resolving the inevitable conflict issues that are
going to occur when the full subset of changes is not made.

PHP can be pretty bad API wise moving between point releases (i.e. 5.3
-> 5.4).  But there are few/any problems we have experienced when
moving within a point release (i.e. 5.3.10 -> 5.3.11).

michael