[imp] Forward modes

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Tue Apr 22 05:48:14 UTC 2014

Quoting Ruben Squartini <ruben at auger.org.ar>:

> Hi Michael!
>
> Trying different ways to give our users some ways to deal with what they
> intend to do, we found that there is no way to forward as other mail client
> do, let me explain it...
>
> On several mail clients, when you choose to forward a mail, the body is set
> between markers, together with some headers, and the original attachments
> are set as attachments of the new message.
>
> In Horde you can choose only to use the body of the forwarded mail (with no
> attachments), set the whole mail as attachment (including body and
> attachments) or to "Edit as New", what uses the original body with no
> markers at all as the new body (and set original attachemnts as attachemnts
> of the new message).
>
> It is very complex to add an option to forward mails in the first explained
> way, as others do?

Well, the way "others" do is simply wrong.  I can give you about 100
different examples of "forwarded" messages that are sent with broken,
partial, or unwanted attachments.  (It's amazing how bad mailers can
broken multipart/related messages when they try to forward them).

The *only* sane way that works 100% of the time and will never send
broken data is to forward the entire message. Not to mention that
forwarding the entire message is what the user wants about 99.8% of
the time so this isn't an issue in practice.

michael