[imp] Batch import mbox files into individual folders

Administrator BCS adje at bezoekerscentrumsonsbeek.nl
Mon Apr 28 13:08:44 UTC 2014

Citeren "Mauricio Jose T. Tecles" <mtecles at biof.ufrj.br>:

> ----- Mensagem de adje at bezoekerscentrumsonsbeek.nl ---------
>     Data: Sun, 27 Apr 2014 17:55:40 +0000
>     De: Administrator BCS <adje at bezoekerscentrumsonsbeek.nl>
>  Assunto: [imp] Batch import mbox files into individual folders
>       Para: imp at lists.horde.org
>

>> We are migrating from Openwebmail to Horde. Some of our users made a lot of
>> subfolders in their Openwebmail account over the years, up to 250 per user.
>> We need to transfer them all to Horde. Mail folders are stored by
>> Openwebmail as individual mbox files for each folder so they import into
>> Horde without problems. The process being:
>>
>>  *   Login as user #x
>>  *   create a (sub) mailfolder with the name of the mbox file
>>  *   import the mbox file in the newly created folder
>>  *   repeat 2-3 until all mbox files of this user are done
>>  *   repeat 1-5 for all users
>>
>> Normally this is something I would leave to the users but with so many
>> mailboxes per user it might be a good idea trying to automate things a bit.
>> Step 2-3 would be sufficient. So I would need a script that reads the
>> content of a directory with mbox files, create a mailfolder in Horde for
>> each file named after that file, and imports each mbox file in the
>> corresponding folder.
>>
>> Unfortunately I have little to no php knowledge. I made a futily effort and
>> if I am not mistaken /var/www/horde/imp/lib/Basic/Folders.php is called for
>> creating folders and /var/www/horde/imp/lib/Mbox/Import.php handles import.
>> Is that correct?
>> My question: can I use those scripts, calling them passing appropiate
>> parameters to them? If so, what parameters do they expect? Or can you point
>> me towards another solution for batch import of mbox files?
>> Thanks,
>> Martin
>
> Mail folders are not Horde files. Horde uses your system backend to
> deal with your mail folders and INBOX. In other words, Horde uses
> your IMAP or POP server (for exemple: Dovecot). For example, I use
> Debian with Dovecot. For user x:
>
> Folders are in:  /home/x/mail
> INBOX:  /var/mail/x

Yes I am aware of that. I use Dovecot, mysql and a virtual Maildir
system. When I create a subfolders in Horde I see it showing up as
(.hidden) folders in the vmail system. So my initial idea was to use
mb2md to convert the mbox files to maildir format, create .subfolders
in the vmail file system and copy the converted mbox files to them.

However when I manually create a subfolder in the vmail system, it
does not show up in Horde (permissions all set).
When I create a subfolder through Horde it does show up in Horde
(obviously). When I delete that folder from the vmail folder using
command line, it dissappears in Horde but will reappear when I
re-create it with mkdir.

So my assumption is that Horde also stores some data about subfolders
in the sql database and I need to update the dbase as well in order to
make the folders visible in Horde. However I understand from your
answer that this information will probably be stored in the mail dbase
and not in the horde dbase, so I need to look there in stead.

> Nothing to do with Horde! I can use my smartphone or whatever mail
> cliente in my computer to deal with my (IMAP) mail folders besides
> Horde. One time I use Horde, another time I use my smartphone
> cliente to work with the same mail folders.
>
> Read Horde documentation and INSTALL to understand how it works.

Did that, but will re-read as I very possible might have missed
something. Just starting to learn...