[imp] IDN not authorized for imp error

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Fri Aug 8 17:18:27 UTC 2014

Quoting info at interpost.biz:

> I have an IDN with the character î in it, and cannot get a user
> connected through to mail (imp). I have tried using bothe the IDn
> and the punycode (xn-- ...) when adding a user in the horde master
> config. This IDN is running horde as a vhost.
>
> This is all with the latest horde 5.2.0 everything updated.  Can you
> tell me if I am suppossed to be using the IDN (i.e. boîte...net ) or
> the punycode (i.e. xn--bote...-rsb.net) for the config-boîte...net
> horde configuration file, and for the add user in the master
> (superuser/superadmin) horde instance?

An end user should always be using the IDN version.  punycode is only
intended as an intermediary for transport purposes and is not intended
for human viewing.

> I have tried many combinations and permutations of the two and can
> always get the IDN user authenticated to horder, but never to mail /
> imp.

I would assume it's an issue with the login command being used.  UTF-8
can't be used with IMAP LOGIN (see RFC 6855 [5]).  An imap debug log
(see imp/config/backends.php) would be useful to see if/where this is
the case in the IMAP protocol conversation.

michael