[imp] imp Digest, Vol 3664, Issue 1

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Mon Aug 18 20:54:28 UTC 2014

Quoting info at interpost.biz:

>> Are you *sure* you need the full foo at example.com to authenticate to
>> the Dovecot server?  Other MUAs may be working simply because they are
>> stripping off the domain.  You havent provided any verification that
>> this is the case.
>>

> Dovecot does need the full user at domain.com address.
>

>> I didn't say this.  I said the IMAP LOGIN command doesn't accept
>> non-ASCII characters.  But the IMAP AUTHENTICATE command does (which
>> Horde/IMP supports).
>

> Once I authenticate and login to horde (not imp) using the IDN (this
> has always worked), I am able to login separately - in a second
> login task - to imp - if I use the punycode (unacceptable to the
> end-user, of course), so the problem is only that the IMAP login
> command doesn't accept accented characters or all the utf-8
> characters.

Then the issue is that you are not correctly setting the
authentication credentials for IMP.  By default, if using horde auth,
IMP passes Horde's authentication credentials.  If dovecot requires
the punycode representation of the username, then that is something
you need to configure (i.e. via preauthenticate hook).

> SO, can this be changed, and are the horde team going to change this
> so that it does accept all the utf-8 characters?

There's nothing for us to change.  Nothing is broken is Horde.

> Secondly, is there a workaround that you or anyone knows of? For
> example, changing a file to use a different php function to escape
> or validate/control a GET form input ?  Do I have to use roundcube
> or squirrelmail frontend at present so that IDN's don't have to be
> entered in their punycode?

I am still confused why you think something is broken in Horde, when
you admittedly have configured Horde to send the wrong authentication
username to your IMAP backend?

We absolutely cannot assume that an IDN must be sent as punycode to
the IMAP server.  As I have mentioned several times, the IMAP protocol
does not limit authentication credentials to ASCII-only.  It is 100%
backend dependent on what it is expecting.

michael