[imp] Search results of more than 100 messages cause 'error communicating with the server'

Tim ODriscoll tim.odriscoll at lambrookschool.co.uk
Tue Aug 19 19:53:06 UTC 2014

Quoting Arjen de Korte <arjen+horde at de-korte.org>:

> Citeren Tim ODriscoll <tim.odriscoll at lambrookschool.co.uk>:
>
>> When any of my users try searching for messages in a mailbox and
>> the result returns more than 100 results, they get the error above:
>> error communicating with the server.
>
> Could it be you're using GMail as IMAP server?

No, I'm using a Dovecot IMAP server on the same machine.

> I tried to duplicate this on a Dovecot IMAP server. It has no
> problems returning searches resulting in several hundreds of
> messages. My guess is that somehow your IMAP server is truncating
> the number.

It used to work on the latest version of Horde 4, but the upgrade to
H5 has caused this problem.

I've tried manually running the IMAP commands over a telnet session
and it's working as expected. I can search and I get a list of message
numbers back (in excess of 200 on some searches) and then I can fetch
a resulting message from it's number.

I've tried turning off the Horde cache which had no effect and so it's
left as using the file system.

A while ago there was a similar post on this list:
http://bugs.horde.org/ticket/13264

That's where I got the idea to change the cache settings, but now I'm stuck..

Could it be a PHP problem? I recently upgraded the OS on the machine
to the latest Ubuntu and the new PHP was a pain to get working
properly because there were lots of modules that needed to be manually
enabled. Could I have missed enabling one?

Many thanks for your help,

Tim