[imp] Search results of more than 100 messages cause 'error communicating with the server'

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Tue Aug 19 22:14:40 UTC 2014

Quoting Tim ODriscoll <tim.odriscoll at lambrookschool.co.uk>:

>> You either haven't updated Horde_Core or your cache settings are
>> not correct.  (Also make sure you are not using SQL for either
>> cache or session storage).
>
> Thanks for your suggestion, Michael. I'm running Horde_Core 2.13.0
> which was upgraded when I ran 'pear upgrade -a -B horde/webmail' I
> believe.

I'm pretty much out of ideas unfortunately.  Everybody else with this
same issue (at least with the symptoms you described) have indicated
that the fixes from last month fixed everything.

In short, what is happening is that the search results are being
offloaded from session storage to cache storage once they reach a
certain size.  Otherwise, your session size grows extremely large -
and since the session needs to be loaded every time a page/endpoint is
accessed, it is imperative that we minimize the session size as much
as possible.

The only thing I can think of is that your cache storage backend is
not writable by the webserver.  You should make sure that cache files
are actually appearing in the directory you have configured to store
cache files in.

michael