[imp] Search results of more than 100 messages cause 'error communicating with the server'

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Wed Aug 27 21:57:17 UTC 2014

Quoting Andy Dorman <adorman at ironicdesign.com>:

>>> Could you elaborate on this? Is this
>>> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=687269 ? I think I'm
>>> seeing the same issue with some users loading messages from search
>>> results.
>>
>> Debian has an issue with the line "Use this software for good, not evil"
>> in the source code for the PHP JSON code.  (This is real.  I am not
>> making this up.)  So they replaced this stable code that works perfectly
>> fine with a replacement that is broken in several areas - mainly dealing
>> with null characters.  We use null characters a bunch in IMP data for
>> technical reasons I won't go into here.  So Debian ships with broken
>> JSON code with known bugs (which, I should mention, have been known for
>> a year and *still* aren't fixed).
>>

> Well the issue is not quite that simple and Debian isn't the only
> distro that has a problem with a "morality" clause in software.

This has been covered before.  Regardless of what anyone feels
personally/morally about the clause, *legally* the clause causes no
substantial issues - or at least no more substantial issues than any
other supposed "free" license.

I really don't care that Debian gets the whole legal argument wrong.
Whatever - that pissing contest is not my idea of intellectual
stimulation.

What I do care is that they ship BROKEN software that claims to be
PHP, when it really isn't.  In other words: "Debian PHP 5.x.y" !==
"PHP 5.x.y".

michael