[imp] "String contains non-ASCII characters" after Upgrading Ubuntu-Server (12.04 > 14.04)

Karsten Schlimme karsten at schlimme.net
Mon Sep 8 09:59:21 UTC 2014

Hi everybody,

my Horde Groupware 5.2.1 is installed on an Ubuntu Server which I
upgraded from 12.04 to 14.04.

After this the Apache webserver didn't start because of two errors:
Missing httpd.conf and Invalid command 'LockFile'.

I fixed both errors with the following solutions:
http://serverfault.com/questions/500803/etc-apache2-httpd-conf-no-such-file-or-directory-error-after-ubuntu-upgrade
http://askubuntu.com/questions/368515/upgraded-to-ubuntu-13-10-apache-not-able-to-start

After that I got a problem that is horde related I think and I can't
find anything on the web. Apache is started now and I'm able to browse
to the login page. If I try to login I get a white page that shows me
"Fatal error - String contains non-ASCII characters" with much code
after that. If I go to the address bar and delete
"/dynamic.php?page=mailbox" from
"https://webmail.mydomain.net/imp/dynamic.php?page=mailbox" I get into
Horde Groupware and I'm able to browse everything except two of my
mail directories: INBOX and DRAFTS. They are shown as empty and
everytime I click on refresh I get the error "String contains
non-ASCII characters" in a red box in the lower right corner.

Does anybody know how to fix this error?

Many thanks in advance for your help :)

Best regards,

Karsten