[imp] Horizontal/Vertical layout focus

John H. Bennett III bennettj at thebennetthome.com
Wed Sep 17 05:03:29 UTC 2014

> Quoting John H. Bennett III <bennettj at thebennetthome.com>:
>
>> Quoting Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>:

>>> Because browser UI elements != OS UI elements.
>>>
>>> We make use of IFRAMEs (for HTML messages) to segregate
>>> potentially dangerous external data (message content) from the
>>> rest of the page.  IFRAMEs are handled differently by each
>>> browser.  An IFRAME, by default, has no connection/contact to the
>>> parent page.  So if you do something in the IFRAME, this has NO
>>> EFFECT on the rest of the page.
>>>
>>> Essentially, you can think of the message preview as a completely
>>> separate application than IMP.  We *try* to capture
>>> clicks/keypresses inside of the IFRAME, but this is not always
>>> possible (e.g. browser issues; for security reasons we may not be
>>> able to precisely simulate that click in the parent page).
>>>
>>> michael
>>>
>>> ___________________________________
>>> Michael Slusarz [slusarz at horde.org]
>>>

>> Hi Michael,
>>
>> Yes, OK, thank you for explaining, but when using Outlook Web
>> Access, you don't have this issue, no matter if you are using a
>> MAC, or Windows PC.  Once you change the focus to the preview pane,
>> you are able to scroll with the mouse, or by using the keyboard keys
>
> And I'm also confused because you can scroll with the mouse and the
> keyboard keys using IMP.  Have been able to forever.
>
> michael
>
> ___________________________________
> Michael Slusarz [slusarz at horde.org]

Not in the preview window.  If you are viewing a message in the
preview window, and click within the preview window area, then hit the
down arrow key, you are moved to the next email message.  Hitting the
page down key, you are taken to the last email shown on your screen.
If you hit end, then you are taken to your last email.  You can, or at
least I can, only move within the preview window, by cicking on the
scroll bar.  Of course, double-clicking on the message and having that
as the main focus, enables you to scroll by any method.

I have this behavior with Chrome and IE-11, and on a MAC using Safari.

Please know that I am only asking to try to better explain to people
how to better use the horde webmail system versus what most used to
use in Outlook.

John