[imp] Mail server closed the connection unexpectedly

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Mon Sep 22 12:25:34 UTC 2014

Zitat von Gert Lynge <horde at lynge.org>:

> Hi
>
> Normally when I login I end up in Imp directly, now I'm getting: "Mail
> server closed the connection unexpectedly"-error.
> I'm simply thrown back to the login page with this error shown.
>
> Imap is working perfectly from other devices (Outlook on my PC and mail on
> my android phone).
>
> Horde is version 5.2.1
> Imp is version 6.2.2
> Apache is version 2.4.10
> OS is FreeBSD 9.3-RELEASE-p2
>
> I recently upgraded php from 5.4.32 to 5.4.33. But I don't know if that's
> related to this error.
>
> I've created a backends.local.php with:
> <?php
> $servers['imap']['debug'] = true;
> $servers['imap']['timeout'] = 120;
> ?>
>
> ...and the log shows:
> ---
> ------------------------------
>>> Sat, 20 Sep 2014 19:40:10 +0200
>>> Connection to: imap://localhost/
>>> Server connection took 0,0006 seconds.
> S: * OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4REV1 I18NLEVEL=1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS
> STARTTLS] localhost IMAP4rev1 2007f.404 at Sat, 20 Sep 2014 19:40:10 +0200
> (CEST)
> C: 1 STARTTLS
> S: 1 OK STARTTLS completed
>>> Command 1 took 0,0013 seconds.
>>> Successfully completed TLS negotiation.
> C: 2 [INITIAL CLIENT RESPONSE (username: lynge)]
> S: +
> C: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> S: 2 OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4REV1 I18NLEVEL=1 LITERAL+ IDLE UIDPLUS NAMESPACE
> CHILDREN MAILBOX-REFERRALS BINARY UNSELECT ESEARCH WITHIN SCAN SORT
> THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT MULTIAPPEND] User lynge
> authenticated
>>> Command 2 took 0,0107 seconds.
>>> CACHE: Using the Horde_Imap_Client_Cache_Backend_Cache storage driver.
> C: 3 LSUB "" INBOX
> C: 4 LSUB "" *
> C: 5 LSUB "" #mhinbox*
> C: 6 LSUB "" #mh/*
> C: 7 LSUB "" ~*
> C: 8 LSUB "" #shared/*
> C: 9 LSUB "" #ftp/*
> C: 10 LSUB "" #news.*
> C: 11 LSUB "" #public/*
> S: * LSUB (\NoInferiors) NIL INBOX
> S: 3 OK LSUB completed
>>> Command 3 took 0,0023 seconds.
> S: * LSUB () "/" sent-mail
> S: * LSUB () "/" Kladder
> S: * LSUB () "/" Trashcan
> S: * LSUB () "/" Sent
> S: * LSUB () "/" Sendt
> S: * LSUB () "/" Spam
> S: * LSUB () "/" Templates
> S: * LSUB () "/" Trash
> S: * LSUB (\NoInferiors) NIL INBOX
> S: * LSUB () "/" "Sent Items"
> S: * LSUB () "/" "Deleted Items"
> S: * LSUB () "/" Drafts
> S: * LSUB () "/" "Junk E-mail"
> S: * LSUB () "/" "U&APg-nsket e-mail"
> S: * LSUB () "/" Papirkurv
> S: * LSUB () "/" "Slettet post"
> S: * LSUB () "/" Arkiv
> S: * LSUB () "/" "Sent Messages"
> [...]

Since command 10 succeeded, it's probably command 11 that causes this:
C: 11 LSUB "" #public/*
Sounds like your mail server is too slow. And it looks like you are
using a 7 years old UW-IMAP version, so don't hold your breathe to get
any more support for this setup than this response.

--
Jan Schneider
The Horde Project