[imp] Mail server closed the connection unexpectedly (solved by downgrading PHP)

Gert Lynge horde at lynge.org
Tue Sep 23 20:39:15 UTC 2014

>> Normally when I login I end up in Imp directly, now I'm getting: "Mail
>> server closed the connection unexpectedly"-error.
>> I'm simply thrown back to the login page with this error shown.
>>
>> Imap is working perfectly from other devices (Outlook on my PC and mail
on
>> my android phone).
>>
>> Horde is version 5.2.1
>> Imp is version 6.2.2
>> Apache is version 2.4.10
>> OS is FreeBSD 9.3-RELEASE-p2
>>
>> I recently upgraded php from 5.4.32 to 5.4.33. But I don't know if that's
>> related to this error.
>>
>> I've created a backends.local.php with:
>> <?php
>> $servers['imap']['debug'] = true;
>> $servers['imap']['timeout'] = 120;
>> ?>
>>
>>[...]

>Since command 10 succeeded, it's probably command 11 that causes this:
>C: 11 LSUB "" #public/*
>Sounds like your mail server is too slow. And it looks like you are
>using a 7 years old UW-IMAP version, so don't hold your breathe to get
>any more support for this setup than this response.

Well, new versions are not always better than well proven old versions - so
a piece of advice: don't jump to conclusions :-).

Remember IMAP worked perfectly from other devices...
And I did try to increase the timeout from 30 to 120 sec. to rule out my
server being too slow...
Luckily my mailbox does not grow with a factor 4 within a couple of days, so
if the server was just too slow a timeout of 120 sec should have sort of
solved it... That was my guess anyway...

I've done some digging and this is just to give some CONSTRUCTIVE support to
other hitting the same problem: when I downgraded PHP from 5.4.33 to 5.4.32
everything worked again... And it works EVEN if you choose to use an old
perfectly working UW-IMAP ;-)...

So I'll bet that PHP 5.4.33 introduced a regression in my setup somewhere
(or Horde is doing something wrong which did not cause problems until PHP
5.4.33). But that is off cause just me jumping to conclusions without
investigating it properly ;-).

Regards,
Gert Lynge