[imp] pass client ip during authentication

Arjen de Korte arjen+horde at de-korte.org
Thu Sep 25 11:13:56 UTC 2014

Citeren Systeembeheer BCS <adje at bezoekerscentrumsonsbeek.nl>:

> Citeren Arjen de Korte <arjen+horde at de-korte.org>:
>
>> Citeren Systeembeheer BCS <adje at bezoekerscentrumsonsbeek.nl>:
>>
>>> Using imp for authentication with dovecot IMAP, working fine. But now I
>>> would like to make use of dovecot's allow_nets feature to restrict
>>> logins from certain ip's. To make that work, imp should pass the
>>> client's ip (as seen by apache) to dovecot during authentication, but
>>> instead it passes 127.0.0.1 for both lip and rip. Any way to change
>>> this?
>>
>> No. Horde doesn't pass the connecting IP to Dovecot. This is determined
>> by Dovecot itself, by looking at the local and remote IP for the socket
>> that is used for communication.
>
> Ah, thanks. Looks like I have to switch to another auth mechanism
> instead to get this working.

What are you trying to accomplish? Do you want to restrict the IP's
from where your users can connect to Horde? In that case, a .htaccess
file placed in the directory where Horde lives may be what you're
looking for:

# ALLOW USER BY IP
<Limit GET POST>
  order deny,allow
  deny from all
  allow from 192.168.4.0/24
</Limit>

This will allow everyone from the 192.168.4.0/24 network access and
denies all others.