[imp] Missing indicator for alternative email content

Jens-Uwe Mozdzen jmozdzen at nde.ag
Fri Jan 16 16:30:40 UTC 2015

Hi Michael,

Zitat von  Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>
> Quoting Jens-Uwe Mozdzen <jmozdzen at nde.ag>:
>
>> Hi *,
>>
>> from time to time I receive emails where the preview pane shows
>> "there are no message parts that can be displayed directly" (or
>> similar, my locale in non-english) and the details pane above shows
>> no message parts.
>>
>> The emails do have an HTML part in addition to the plain text part,
>> which is shown when I select "more functions"->"all parts": The
>> details pane then displays a tree with the root member "Alternative"
>> with two sub-elements (plain text icon and HTML icon).
>> [...]
>
> This is the correct behavior.
>
> You have indicated that you can't display HTML parts (by your config),
> so that part is not available.
>
> And alternative parts by definition should only ever show a single
> part - you should not be given a choice between which representation
> to view.  That's the whole point of multipart/alternative.
>
> Put another way: you should never know you are looking at an
> alternative part.

thank you for that clarification. I noticed that other mails,
seemingly of the same nature, have no declaration of "alternative
parts", but rather are simply declared as "mixed" or have no text part
at all, leading to the button to display the HTML version.

Do you think it'd be a useful enhancement to treat "empty"
(white-space only) parts as not existent, so that in the semantically
malformed, but still typical case of "alternative" with non-empty
HTML, but empty text-only part, the user receives an indication of the
HTML part even if (s)he chose to only display text parts by default?

Regards,
Jens
--
Jens-U. Mozdzen                         voice   : +49-40-559 51 75
NDE Netzdesign und -entwicklung AG      fax     : +49-40-559 51 77
D-22423 Hamburg                         e-mail  : jmozdzen at nde.ag

         Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrates: Angelika Mozdzen
           Sitz und Registergericht: Hamburg, HRB 90934
                   Vorstand: Jens-U. Mozdzen
                    USt-IdNr. DE 814 013 983