[imp] Active Sync junk behavior

Brent impuser at bitrealm.com
Sun Feb 15 02:09:41 UTC 2015

After doing some testing, I've found the following in trying to
troubleshoot why I when I try to use the "Move to Junk" option on an IOS
device (haven't tried others), it doesn't actually move the message out of
the Inbox.

What I would want to happen:

A message that is chosen as "Move to Junk" gets moved to the folder that
I've designated as my "spam mailbox" in Preferences for email using
Horde/Imp.

What happens instead:

The message is moved to a folder called "Junk", with a caveat:

If you don't have a folder named "Junk", it will create it and add it to
your IMAP folder subscriptions.  No issues here.

If you DO have a folder named "Junk", BUT HAVE UNSUBSCRIBED from that
folder, Active Sync will attempt to create a folder named "Junk" and it
gets an error that the folder already exists.  Not too bad, but then it
doesn't add the IMAP folder subscription and doesn't actually move the
message since it received an error on the folder create step.

End-user workaround:

Name your "spam mailbox" Junk and be sure you're subscribed to that folder.

Maybe the "Move to Junk" is an IOS thing and the Imp ActiveSync guys can't
do anything about the folder that gets chosen as it is all done by the
client?

Thanks!

brent